Financial Review: GSV Capital Corp (GSVC) and Its Competitors
GSV Capital Corp (NASDAQ: GSVC) is one of 568 public companies in the “Closed End Funds” industry, but how does it compare to its peers? We will compare GSV Capital Corp to related companies based on the strength of its institutional ownership, valuation, dividends, analyst recommendations, profitability, earnings and risk.
This is a summary of current ratings and target prices for GSV Capital Corp and its peers, as reported by MarketBeat.com.
|Sell Ratings||Hold Ratings||Buy Ratings||Strong Buy Ratings||Rating Score|
|GSV Capital Corp||0||1||0||0||2.00|
|GSV Capital Corp Competitors||347||1485||1519||26||2.36|
As a group, “Closed End Funds” companies have a potential upside of 40.65%. Given GSV Capital Corp’s peers stronger consensus rating and higher possible upside, analysts clearly believe GSV Capital Corp has less favorable growth aspects than its peers.
This table compares GSV Capital Corp and its peers’ net margins, return on equity and return on assets.
|Net Margins||Return on Equity||Return on Assets|
|GSV Capital Corp||-1,701.22%||-5.43%||-3.25%|
|GSV Capital Corp Competitors||-22.72%||6.09%||4.61%|
Institutional & Insider Ownership
29.7% of GSV Capital Corp shares are owned by institutional investors. Comparatively, 23.2% of shares of all “Closed End Funds” companies are owned by institutional investors. 0.7% of GSV Capital Corp shares are owned by company insiders. Comparatively, 4.5% of shares of all “Closed End Funds” companies are owned by company insiders. Strong institutional ownership is an indication that hedge funds, endowments and large money managers believe a company is poised for long-term growth.
Volatility and Risk
GSV Capital Corp has a beta of 1.29, indicating that its share price is 29% more volatile than the S&P 500. Comparatively, GSV Capital Corp’s peers have a beta of 0.56, indicating that their average share price is 44% less volatile than the S&P 500.
Valuation & Earnings
This table compares GSV Capital Corp and its peers revenue, earnings per share (EPS) and valuation.
|Gross Revenue||EBITDA||Price/Earnings Ratio|
|GSV Capital Corp||N/A||N/A||-5.11|
|GSV Capital Corp Competitors||$57.58 million||$38.86 million||-0.03|
GSV Capital Corp’s peers have higher revenue and earnings than GSV Capital Corp. GSV Capital Corp is trading at a lower price-to-earnings ratio than its peers, indicating that it is currently more affordable than other companies in its industry.
GSV Capital Corp peers beat GSV Capital Corp on 9 of the 11 factors compared.
About GSV Capital Corp
GSV Capital Corp. (GSV Capital) is an externally managed, non-diversified closed-end management investment company. The Company’s investment objective is to maximize its portfolio’s total return, principally by seeking capital gains on its equity and equity-related investments. The Company invests principally in the equity securities, which are venture-capital-backed emerging companies. The Company acquires its investments through direct investments with portfolio companies, secondary marketplaces for private companies and negotiations with selling stockholders. The Company may also invest in select publicly traded equity securities or certain non-United States companies that otherwise meet its investment criteria. It seeks to invest approximately 90% of its portfolio in late-stage companies and the remaining approximately 10% in emerging companies that fit within its targeted areas. Its investment activities are managed by its investment advisor, GSV Asset Management, LLC.
Receive News & Ratings for GSV Capital Corp Daily - Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings for GSV Capital Corp and related companies with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.